Skip to main content

Success! A Tried 'n True Wardrobe Builder

Finally! Vogue 8151 fits!


I wore this all day and never had to yank it forward on my neck even once and there was no pooling of material in the small of my back. (Both issues are pet peeves).

Besides changing the neckline design change to scoop style I made the following alterations:

  • The back was cut in size D, morphing to an F below the waist
  • The front was cut in size D, extending to F at the underarm and continuing in size F from that point down.
  • Sloping shoulders 3/4"
  • Bust dart lowered 1"
  • 3/4" length added to bottom at the center back
  • About 3/8" shaved off the sleeve head

This was made up in a cotton knit. I stabilized the neckline and shoulder seams with clear elastic applied with wash-away wondertape. The bottom and sleeve hems were stabilized the same way, then top-stiched with a 4mm double needle. This worked beautifully, with miminal 'tunneling' between the stitching lines.

Based on previous reviews (thank you to all who wrote them!) I did not do a full bust alteration and it wasn't needed, even though I'm an F cup. Usually an fba is a given but in this case, I think because my back is narrow and because it's a knit fabric, there was enough ease all around to accommodate my bust in the front.

Speaking of previous reviews, they also mentioned the more than ample sleeve head ease and they are right! Another thing--and I don't know if this is the pattern or if it's because of how I shaped the back side seams when morphing from size D to size F from the waist to the hip, but I had to ease the back side seams a bit into the front from the waist down. The result was that the back sides of the shirt were ever so slightly shaped to accommodate my hips. Lovely!

Tweaks for next time:

  • Scoop out the armscye just above the bust 1/2"
  • Forward shoulder alteration (1/2")
  • Maybe extend the shoulder seam 1/4"
  • Reduce the sleeve cap ease even further

Despite the above tweaks, this is now an official 'tried 'n true' pattern for a future SWAP. Finally!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrow Back and Full Hips

There's a thread on Pattern Review about fitting a narrow back and a full bum. That's exactly what I have! I think these alterations are going to prove very helpful: Els' swayback and rounded upper back alteration Debfxvt57's full-hip adjustment I won't need to alter for a rounded upper back for myself, but anything I made for my older daughter would need it, so I'm glad to have found it.

I So Want to Sew

The pattern is cut out and pressed, the cutting mat is laid out on the table, and pre-washed fabric calls out to me. What is missing? TIME, that's what! And if there's a little time to be had there has been NO ENERGY left to git 'r done. But things are picking up and I hope to have 4 dark blue knit work shirts made this weekend for dh. I just bought him a coupla pair of olive green 'Big Daddy Cargo Pants' at Penneys. Finding work pants for Dh that fit, are comfortable and don't rip the first day on the job has been an adventure. These pants look great on him and they are stretch twill! Yay! I had picked up some black and brick-colored knit collars at The Place That Sells Sewing Machines but now I have olive-colored pants...what to do? Here's what: I'm going to try and find matching olive knit or woven material to use on the work shirt placket and (maybe) collar! How coordinated he will be! Oddly, dh doesn't seem as excited about this as I am....